100 Bloody Acres (2012) Damon Herriman, Angus Sampson, Anna McGahan, Oliver Ackland Movie Review

100 Bloody Acres (2012)   3/53/53/53/53/5

Angus Sampson and Damon Herriman in 100 Bloody Acres (2012)

Pumpkins Take Blood & Guts

Reg (Damon Herriman) and his brother Lindsay (Angus Sampson) run a fertilizer business, a bit of a dubious business as they use the ground up remains of car crash victims who they pick up along the road side like they were picking up road kill. It is after he finds a dead guy on the roadside that Reg comes across 3 music festival goers who have broken down in the middle of nowhere. Having become a little taken with one of them, Sophie (Anna McGahan), he decides to give them a ride. But things become awkward when the two guys travelling in the back of the truck come across the dead body leaving him with a major decision between brotherly loyalty or maybe romance especially when he gets back home.

As a rule I like Australian Horror comedies, there is something about the mix of spurting blood with that straight, almost matter of fact comedy which makes me smile especially when you toss in some quirky for good measure. Unfortunately "100 Bloody Acres" just doesn't quite reach the parts that other Australian Horror comedies reach. It isn't that the idea is bad as we have this entertainingly macabre operation using dead car crash victims in fertilizer and the conflict between brothers, it's just not bloody enough.

Actually that is not the only problem as truth be told it isn't funny enough either and where often there would be a mix of laughs from the characters to the gags in this it feels like the mix isn't there with several scenes ending up surprisingly boring. As such we get one scene where one of the travellers gets away but ends up doing daft stuff as he is having an acid trip whilst this is all going on. In fact part of the issue with "100 Bloody Acres" is that none of the characters have any appeal although a small part for John Jarratt makes for the biggest smile of the movie.

What this all boils down to is that "100 Bloody Acres" just didn't work as well as I expected and what I am use to from Australian horror, comedies. But whilst not as entertaining as I normally find them it isn't terrible and some of it hits a sweet spot when it comes to being darkly funny.

LATEST REVIEWS