40 Days and Nights (2012) Alex Carter, Monica Keena, Alex Arleo, Alex Ball, Victoria Barabas, Ty Barnett Movie Review

40 Days and Nights (2012)   1/51/51/51/51/5

Monica Keena and Alex Carter in 40 Days and Nights (2012)

Building the Ark

Governments and the military are preparing for an extinction level event when due to unprecedented tectonic shifts the oceans are rising causing continents to flood. Whilst John (Alex Carter - Look Again) is part of the team behind the revolutionary arks his girlfriend, Tessa (Monica Keena - All She Wants for Christmas), is part of the microbiology team making sure DNA samples are collected from as many species of animal and insect as possible so that when the floods reside mankind can rebuild and survive. But things are not going well as the floods are advancing quicker than expected and between faulty propulsion equipment and not all the samples of critical wildlife collected the couple, along with their friends, will need to put their lives in danger for the sake of the survival of mankind.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea for the storyline in "40 Days and Nights". It kind of feels like it could have been a companion movie to Roland Emmerich's "2012" focusing on the drama surrounding the teams trying to build the arks in that movie. But trust me when I say that "40 Days and Nights" is not in the same league of "2012" as this is one of those disaster movies which tend to either have been made for TV or for the direct to DVD market. As such this has the usual issues with less than convincing special effects, poor acting and also a storyline which flits between weak and ridiculous.

But where as some of these lesser disaster movies entertain for simply being so ridiculous or bad they become fun "40 Days and Nights" doesn't do that. This is sadly one of those disaster movies which really struggle to keep your attention because the unfolding drama and action is both weak and fake. Even the actor choice whilst giving us the likeable Alex Carter and Monica Keena does little to make this more visually appealing.

What this all boils down to is that "40 Days and Nights" whilst having a nice idea for a disaster movie the end result is not only generic but lacking in anything to make it entertaining be it good or bad.

LATEST REVIEWS