22 Jump Street (2014) Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Peter Stormare, Wyatt Russell, Amber Stevens West Movie Review

22 Jump Street (2014)   2/52/52/52/52/5

Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum in 22 Jump Street (2014)

Jumped the Shark

Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum) having gone through high school a 2nd time find themselves graduating and moving on to their next job, going undercover in a local college to bust a drugs ring. But things don't go well as Jenko makes friends on the football team whilst Schmidt ends up hanging out with the arts crowd and both questioning whether or not they can remain friends and partners. But with a case to bust they are going to have to do some growing up and stop being immature jerks.

"21 Jump Street is just one laugh after another after another and amazingly 90% of those laughs work thanks to the surprisingly successful combo of Hill and Tatum", those were my final thoughts on "21 Jump Street". Amazingly I have to say the complete opposite for the follow up "22 Jump Street" as rather than 90% of the jokes working it is 10% this time. I honestly don't know what happened but one joke after another just fell painfully flat and as the storyline is simply a vehicle for the gags this ends up a really struggle, lacking in the wit of the first movie.

Trouble is that there is nothing else going on in "22 Jump Street" and so that makes it laborious. Even the chemistry between Hill and Tatum seemed to have disappeared this time around and that maybe down to a lot of the dialogue being reportedly improvised. You can literally see both Hill and Tatum over thinking what they are going to say and then you have others saying what they think is funny but when in truth their inner thoughts are not only not funny but not interesting either.

What this all boils down to is that something seriously went wrong with "22 Jump Street" and where the first movie was one good joke after another this movie is one good joke every 10 minutes and the rest of the time a lot of noise and nonsense.

LATEST REVIEWS