4.3.2.1 (2010) starring Ophelia Lovibond, Shanika Warren-Markland, Emma Roberts, Tamsin Egerton, Adam Deacon, Sean Pertwee, Linzey Cocker directed by Noel Clarke Movie Review

4.3.2.1 (2010)   2/52/52/52/52/5

Tamsin Egerton, Shanika Warren-Markland, Emma Roberts and Ophelia Lovibond in 4.3.2.1 (2010)

Not Quite Zero

When friends Joanne Shannon (Ophelia Lovibond), (Emma Roberts), Cassandra (Tamsin Egerton) and Kerrys (Shanika Warren-Markland) meet up in a cafe they could never have thought what would have happened to them and I don't mean tackling a pick pocket who Kerrys kicks to the floor. Nope as they leave some stolen diamonds end up being accidentally dropped into one of their bags by a gang legging it from the cops and they find themselves embroiled in a diamond robbery.

As a Brit I try to support British cinema both new and old but I guess I am getting a bit too old for some of the current trends in modern cinema. That is the only reason I can come up with for not liking "4.3.2.1" a movie written and directed by Noel Clarke. I like the idea which sees the story split into four as we follow each girl's story of what happens after the bag incident but beyond that I found it a struggle.

So to mention the style well in a way we are in Tarantino territory with a storyline told from different character perspectives and I like that. I also like the whole diamond heist thing which these four innocent girls find themselves embroiled in. But from the annoying hand held camera, the over exposed tone and the intentional choppiness did my head in and caused me to want to walk away.

But that is not the main reason I struggled, the main reason is whilst the central 4 girls are attractive and we get plenty of notable cameos none of the characters are appealing. As I said I think I am just getting too old for this sort of movie but for me characters need to be likeable to work and none of these are. In fact most of the characters end up annoying and just adds to the struggle to keep watching despite the occasional humorous moment thrown in for good measure.

What this all boils down to is that for me "4.3.2.1" was a clever idea but one which just didn't work for me. Maybe for a younger crowd the characters and the raw styling will be right up their street.

LATEST REVIEWS