Dom Hemingway (2013) Jude Law, Richard E. Grant, Demián Bichir, Emilia Clarke, Kerry Condon Movie Review

Dom Hemingway (2013)   2/52/52/52/52/5

Richard E. Grant and Jude Law in Dom Heminway (2013)

The Law of Hemingway

Dom Hemingway (Jude Law) was a safe cracker but after getting caught and refusing to grass on his accomplices went down for 12 years in which time others went down on him! But after getting down and taking instant revenge on the guy who has been screwing his misses, well his ex, Dom finds his old mucker Dickie (Richard E. Grant) and after a 3 day bender heads to the South of France to see mob boss Mr Fontaine Demián Bichir) to collect what is owed to him. The trouble is that where ever Dom goes he seems to cause trouble. It is the same when Dom decides it is time to try and re-establish things with his daughter Evelyn (Emilia Clarke).

Jude Law is a good actor but sadly his performances as Dom Hemingway comes across as a second rate Tom Hardy impersonator. He tries to deliver this verbose, uncouth monster who thinks nothing of taking his clothes off, stomping around and being verbose with a brutalish vocabulary but every time he does all you think is how much greater Tom Hardy was when he did "Bronson". In fairness to Law if Tom Hardy hadn't set the bar ridiculously high 5 years earlier Law's performance would have been good but sadly it came too late.

And the thing is that "Dom Hemingway" is 80% about Jude Law's performance as Hemingway, making him an in the face character who shouts out obscenities as if he was suffering from some affliction. Most of the other 20% is about the styling which as in your face as the character and from sex scenes to crashes it is all extreme with an artistic bint to it. That is very much the thing about "Dom Hemingway" it is a movie which is mainly style over substance and unless you appreciate movies as an art form this movie doesn't really work, which it didn't for me.

What this all boils down to is that "Dom Hemingway" came up short for me and whilst I am sure many will enjoy the brutalish nature of the character and the stylistic elements it didn't do enough to entertain me.